Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies
Add a minty twist to your holiday with these fun, swirled cookies.
Serves: 24Prep: 1 hour 30 minutesCook: 12 minutesTotal: 1 hour 42 minutes
- 3 1⁄4 cups Simple Truth Organic™ Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Simple Truth Organic™ Madagascar Vanilla Extract
- Red Food Coloring
- Peppermint candies, crushed
- Set oven to 350°F. Sift together flour, cornstarch and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- In an electric mixer or in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and airy – about 3 minutes – then add the egg and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until dough forms. Remove half the dough from the bowl and then mix in a few drops of red food coloring to the remaining dough.
- Roll both mounds of dough into logs, wrap in plastic wrap and chill until firm – about 2 hours.
- Take the log of plain cookie dough and stand it tall. Then, using an apple corer, slice the log from top to bottom. Repeat with the log of red cookie dough. Lay eight log segments side-by-side on a piece of parchment paper covered with crushed peppermint cookies.
- Using the parchment as an aid, roll up the segments to reform a log, holding the central segment in place as you roll – refrigerate. Once the log is chilled, trim the ends and slice the cookies into ½ inch slices. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes.