This is a favorite Italian snack along the Eastern Seaboard.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 lbs. pizza dough
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups sliced pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- On a floured surface, roll dough into a 9" × 16" rectangle. Brush liberally with olive oil, then cover dough with pepperoni slices. Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan over the top, then sprinkle with black pepper.
- Starting from a long side of the dough, lift the edge and begin rolling the dough tightly, jelly-roll fashion, being careful to encase the filling with each turn.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal and place the roll on the sheet. Sprinkle sesame seeds over roll. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Bake at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until nicely browned. Let stand a few minutes, then slice crosswise and serve.