Peppery Swiss Chard
Swiss chard has a flavor akin to spinach, with vibrantly colorful celery-like stalks. This makes an interesting and highly nutritious side, perfect for those who enjoy their spice. If you’re someone who doesn’t, simply reduce or omit the pepper flakes.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 bunch fresh Swiss chard
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, slivered finely
- ¼ tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- ⅛ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the Swiss chard well, then pat dry. Trim each piece by removing most of the stalk, leaving just 1" or 2" of stalk beneath each leafy portion. Chop the leaves and stems into 2" pieces and set aside.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add Swiss chard and sauté for 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the red pepper flakes. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.