Perfect Cheese Blintzes
Happiness is wrapped up in cheese blintzes – delicious for breakfast or dessert!
Serves: 8Prep: 1 hourCook: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 5 eggs, divided
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic™ All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic™ 2% Reduced Fat Milk
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups Simple Truth™ Ricotta Cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons Simple Truth Organic™ Powdered Sugar, divided
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, or as needed
- For the batter: Place 4 eggs, flour, milk, water, vegetable oil, sugar, salt and vanilla extract in a blender. Blend until completely smooth, 1 or 2 minutes, scraping down sides as needed. Let batter sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- For the filling: In a mixing bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese, cream cheese, remaining egg, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Mix together thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat a 10" non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and spray or brush lightly with vegetable oil.
- Pour in about ¼ cup batter. Immediately move batter around to coat bottom of the pan and cook until surface looks dry, about 1 minute. Flip crepe over to briefly cook other side, about 30 seconds, then put on a plate.
- Repeat with rest of batter; stack crepes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly butter a baking dish.
- Spoon about 4 tablespoons of filling onto crepe, about an inch from edge nearest you. Fold edge over filling and flatten slightly. Fold in both sides, then roll up crepe into a small, filled rectangle, ending with seam on bottom, creating a blintz.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Cook the blintzes until golden brown on both sides, turning very gently, about 2 minutes. Transfer to buttered baking dish.
- Bake to firm up the filling, about 12 minutes.
- Cool blintzes 10 minutes before serving. Top with fresh fruits, remaining tablespoon of powdered sugar, cinnamon and whipped cream.