The combination of basil, garlic, pine nuts, and olive oil is classic and delicious. In the old days, Italians used a mortar and pestle to make this uncooked basil sauce. For our purposes, a blender works just as well. Make the sauce in advance and cook the angel hair pasta at the last minute.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 cups basil leaves, stemmed and packed
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, spread the pine nuts on a baking sheet and lightly toast under the broiler for about 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the pine nuts.
- Place the garlic and pine nuts in blender and blend until chopped. Add the basil and Parmesan a bit at a time, then stream in the olive oil while the blender is running until you have the consistency of coarse cornmeal. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over hot pasta.