Pesto Tomato Soup
Freshly made tomato soup tastes like nothing from a can, even though you use canned ingredients to make it. Enjoy this with some toasted cheese bread.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and minced
- 5 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup pesto
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta
- In large stock pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots; cook, stirring frequently until tender, about 6 minutes. Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, pepper, and basil leaves; cook and stir for 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, juice, and vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until blended.
- Using an immersion blender or potato masher, blend the soup until smooth. Heat until soup is steaming. Serve topped with pesto and feta.