Petits Pains au Lait (Milk Buns)
Save to My Recipes
These “little milk breads” are very simple and delicious. And quite healthy, too!
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutes
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 packet (1½ Tbsp.) baker’s yeast
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour (divided)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. butter, cut in small pieces, at room temperature
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Pour the milk in a small saucepan, and place over low heat for a few minutes until it’s lukewarm.
- Pour the lukewarm milk into a large bowl and add the baker’s yeast. Add 1 cup of flour, and stir well with a wooden spoon. Cover with a damp cloth, and leave in a warm room for half an hour.
- Add the rest of the flour, the sugar, the salt, the butter, and the cream. Knead well with a stand mixer for 10 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth again and let rest in a warm room for 90 minutes.
- Take some dough, the size of a small fist, and make small balls. With your fingers, roll each ball into a small baguette, the size of a hot-dog bun. Put them all on a parchment paperlined baking sheet. Let rise for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Using a pastry brush, spread the beaten egg yolk on the buns. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Wait for them to cool, and enjoy.