Lard is not a very popular ingredient anymore, and it is hard to find good leaf lard. If you can’t or don’t wish to use it, either butter or shortening will work almost as well.
Makes: 100Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 16 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups dark corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups lard
- 2 cups cold black coffee
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cloves
- 12 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Cream all ingredients except flour together in a large bowl. Gradually add flour 2 cups at a time. Work it in until dough is smooth and a little stiffer than pastry dough. Chill 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Roll out dough into pencil-thin ropes. Cut each rope in 1-inch pieces. Place pieces on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on baking sheets 2 minutes, then roll in confectioners' sugar.