Phyllo and Spinach Squares
Keep phyllo sheets covered with a damp towel to keep the delicate layers from drying out.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ cup minced green onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup minced parsley
- 3 lbs. fresh spinach, well-rinsed and chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 24 sheets phyllo dough
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add green onion, garlic, and parsley. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add spinach to the saucepan and cook just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, and oregano. Place mixture in a large strainer to drain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, ricotta, feta, and Parmesan cheese. Fold in drained spinach mixture.
- Brush a 8" square baking pan with olive oil. Place a layer of phyllo dough in the pan, overlapping the sheets and allowing the edges to rise up the sides. Brush phyllo layer with olive oil and place another layer in the pan. Brush that layer with olive oil. Repeat until you’ve used 12 sheets of phyllo. Spoon spinach and cheese mixture over the phyllo layers and fold overhanging edges over the filling. Brush filling lightly with olive oil, then begin layering remaining 12 sheets of phyllo over the top. Brush each sheet liberally with olive oil. With a butter knife, push overhanging phyllo sheets into the sides of the pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand for a few minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.