Serve these shrimp with a spicy cocktail sauce.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 12 medium-size fresh shrimp, shelled (tails on) and deveined
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 2 cups sunflower oil
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1 tsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tsp. room-temperature water
- Slit the inside curve of each shrimp 3 or 4 times to straighten it out. In a medium bowl, combine the oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika. Toss the shrimp in the mixture. Reserve.
- In a deep skillet over medium-high heat, bring oil to 360°F. Adjust the heat to keep the temperature at 360°F while frying.
- Cut the phyllo sheets into 6-by-4-by-4-inch triangles and lay them out on a work surface. Work quickly because you don’t want the phyllo to dry out. Place a shrimp near the left corner of the phyllo with the tail exposed and the body lying inside the phyllo. Fold the phyllo over the shrimp and tuck it tightly under the top of the shrimp. Fold the top part of the phyllo over to cover the shrimp. Finally, roll the phyllo up until the roll is complete. Dab your finger into the cornstarch paste and seal the end of the phyllo. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
- Fry shrimp rolls (in batches) for 3 minutes or until they are golden and the shrimp is cooked. Place them on a tray lined with paper towels to soak up excess oil. Serve immediately.