Picante Pizza Sauce
This is a cooked picante sauce, not the fresh salsa some might expect.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cups diced canned tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- In a large saucepan, combine olive oil, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeños. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, for 30 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and cool slightly before using.