Make these refrigerator pickles by dividing fresh asparagus spears, garlic, and spices into 3 canning jars. Make a pickling brine with water, vinegar, and pickling salt and pour it into the jars. Refrigerate for a week before eating.
Makes: 3Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 7 days 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 1⁄2 lbs. asparagus, cut into 6-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. black peppercorns
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. dill seeds
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- Evenly divide the asparagus, garlic, shallot, bay leaves, peppercorns, crushed red pepper, dill seeds, dill, and mustard seeds into 3 sterilized wide-mouth pint jars.
- In a saucepan, bring the water, vinegar, and salt to a boil, stirring to dissolve the salt. Ladle over the asparagus. Cool to room temperature, cover with lid, and refrigerate.
- Wait 1 week before eating. Store in the refrigerator.