If you’re planning to eat these within 6 months, you can simply seal them and keep them in the refrigerator.
Makes: 8 pintsHands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 8 pints
- 4 lbs. mixed chili peppers
- 2 large red onions
- 20 garlic cloves
- 1 piece (2") fresh ginger
- 12 Tbsp. olive oil
- 12 cloves
- 1 Tbsp. fresh-ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 8 cups distilled white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sea salt
- Rinse the chilies in cold running water to clean. Remove the stems. Prick each chili 3 or 4 times with a fork. Peel the onions and slice into ¼" rounds. Peel the garlic cloves. Slice the ginger thinly.
- Heat the olive oil to medium-high in a very large saucepan. Add the garlic. Sauté until golden, then smash the garlic into the oil with the back of a spoon or spatula. Add the onions, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, thyme, and oregano. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the onion just turns clear. Add the chilies and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Heat the vinegar to boiling in a large saucepan. Add it to the chili mixture. Bring everything to a boil for about 5 minutes. Stir in the salt until dissolved.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal.