This recipe is for a refrigerator pickle that will last up to 6 months if kept properly refrigerated. These can be eaten as snacks or sliced for salad topping or burger garnishes.
Makes: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 12 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 1 large beet, peeled and sliced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced into rings
- 1½ cups white wine vinegar
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. pickling salt
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. pickling spice
- 1 Tbsp. celery seed
- 1 Tbsp. mustard seed
- Divide eggs, onions, and beets between two large canning jars, leaving 1" headspace. Put remaining ingredients in a nonreactive pan; warm over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Pour hot brine over eggs, leaving ¼" headspace. Seal with a sterilized lid. Refrigerate and wait about 2 weeks for the flavors to properly integrate.