Pickled Red Onions
These crunchy, tangy, and vibrantly colored onions that are a classic condiment for Mexican food also taste great on top of a burger or alongside a grilled steak.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4½ cups water, divided
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- In a small saucepan or teakettle, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Place the sliced onions in a heatproof bowl; cover with boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes; drain.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, ½ cup cold water, honey, salt, and peppercorns. Add the onions and thyme sprigs and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a jar, cover tightly, and refrigerate until very cold. These pickled onions will keep for several months and get better with age.