This coleslaw isnʼt made with mayonnaise so it keeps very well for about a week in the refrigerator and it also travels nicely for a picnic.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 6 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup finely grated carrot
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- ⅓ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ⅛ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- ⅔ cup white wine vinegar
- Combine cabbage, carrot, onion, and bell pepper in a large bowl.
- Combine brown sugar, salt, celery seed, mustard, ground pepper, oil, and vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Pour warm dressing over cabbage mixture. Toss gently, coating evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving. Toss the coleslaw a couple of times while itʼs chilling. Serve chilled.