Pimento Cheese Grits
Two iconic Southern foods come together in one delicious side dish.
Serves: 4Prep: 10 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup grits
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1 jar (4 oz.) pimentos, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat bring chicken stock, salt, garlic, pepper and cayenne to a boil. Slowly add grits, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Reduce heat to low, cook 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until smooth and liquid is absorbed. Stir in cheeses until melted; add pimentos and butter. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with grilled shrimp, garnish with chopped green onions.
- Refrigerate leftovers.