Pineapple Cherry Upside-Down Cake
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup butter, softened, divided
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 can (8¼ oz.) sliced pineapple
- 12 maraschino cherries, halved
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt ¼ cup butter in an 8" square cake pan. Stir in the brown sugar, spreading it evenly over the bottom of the pan. Drain the pineapple, reserving the syrup; you should have about ½ cup syrup. Cut slices in half. Arrange the pineapple slices and cherries in the pan in a decorative pattern.
- In a bowl, cream together the remaining ¼ cup butter and the granulated sugar until light. Add the egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Alternately add the flour mixture and the reserved pineapple syrup to the margarine mixture, beating just until smooth. Pour the batter evenly over the fruit in the pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm.