Pineapple Chiffon Pie
This version of chiffon pie features, light billowy whipped cream, a smooth and tangy pineapple filling, and a sweet and nutty graham cracker crust.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 5 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup ground pecans
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cup plus ⅓ cup sugar, divided
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. unflavored powdered gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups whipped cream
- Heat over to 350˚F.
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, ground pecans, cinnamon, ¼ cup sugar, and butter. Mix well and press into a 9" pie plate.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the center is firm when pressed lightly. Cool completely before filling.
- In a small bowl, combine the gelatin and the water. Let stand until completely bloomed, about 10 minutes.
- In a double boiler, combine the egg yolks, ⅓ cup sugar, pineapple, and lemon juice. Cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the bloomed gelatin. Whisk until dissolved. Allow to cool until it thickens, about 10 minutes.
- In a large, clean bowl, whip the egg whites with the salt until they are very frothy. Gradually add in ¼ cup sugar, beating constantly, until the whites form medium peaks. Working in thirds, fold the egg whites into the pineapple mixture, making sure no large streaks of egg white remain. Pour the mixture into the prepared crust and chill until firm, about 4 hours.
- Top the chilled pie with whipped cream and refrigerate for an additional 30 minutes before serving.