Your favorite pineapple upside-down cake just got flatter, simpler, and a little more intense.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup warm water, about 100°F
- 5 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 tsp. salt
- 3 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 Tbsp. softened butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cans (20 oz.) pineapple rings in juice, drained
- 1 cup maraschino cherries
- In a large measuring cup, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Combine granulated sugar, salt, and bread flour in the bowl of a mixer with a dough hook. Pour in the yeast mixture, followed by the softened butter, egg, and vanilla. Turn the mixer on low to blend. When ingredients are well combined, turn the mixer on medium-low to knead for 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a bowl, covered, to rise for 1 hour. Punch the dough down, shape into two disks, and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat two shallow oval baking dishes with 1⁄2 tablespoon melted butter.
- Roll or press dough into 2 ovals, slightly thicker at the edges than in the center. Place dough in prepared dishes. Brush dough with remaining butter. Top each pizza with half the brown sugar. Layer half the pineapple rings over each pizza and dot with half the cherries.
- Bake pizzas at 375°F for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for a few minutes. Serve warm.