Pineapple Skillet Sponge Cake
This easy pineapple upside-down cake is fun and delicious. Brown sugar and butter caramelize around pineapple slices to create a tasty topping with hardly any effort.
Serves: 8Prep: 20 minutesCook: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 6 slices pineapple
- 6 maraschino cherries, without stems
- 3 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In 10” cast iron skillet over low heat, mix together butter and brown sugar. Place pineapple slices in skillet; position one maraschino cherry in each pineapple center.
- In medium bowl, use electric hand mixer to beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In separate medium bowl, use electric hand mixer to beat yolks, ½ cup sugar and water until well combined. Fold in remaining sugar, flour, salt and baking powder. Fold in egg whites.
- Pour batter into skillet, covering pineapples. Bake 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven; invert onto plate. Serve with whipped cream.