Pineapple Upside Down Coffee Cake
Pineapple Upside Down Coffee Cake makes the perfect addition to your Easter brunch. Moist, dense and packed with delicious pineapple flavor, this coffee cake takes breakfast to the next level!
Prep: 20 minutesCook: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1 can pineapple rings, (reserve juice for cake)
- 7 maraschino cherries
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canned pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small saucepan, melt ¼ cup butter over medium heat.
- Stir in ¾ cup brown sugar.
- Pour mixture into 9-inch round pan.
- Place pineapple rings on top of brown sugar and place a maraschino cherry in the center of each ring.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream ¼ cup butter, ½ cup granulated sugar and ¼ cup brown sugar.
- Add sour cream, milk, egg, pineapple juice and vanilla. Mix until blended.
- Use a food processor to grind reserved pineapple rings (or chop finely) and stir into batter.
- Pour batter over pineapple rings in pan; spread evenly.
- Bake 50-55 minutes or until top is golden brown and edges begin separating from pan.
- Use a knife to loosen edges; cool 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Place a serving plate on top of pan and invert cake onto the plate.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.