Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes
Instead of a muffin tin, these cupcakes can be made in half-cup ramekins, custard cups, or ovenproof coffee cups. The fruit adds fiber and makes these very delicious.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1½ cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 10 Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare the cups or tins with nonstick spray.
- Melt unsalted butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over low heat until the mixture starts to foam and the sugar starts to caramelize. Remove from heat and pour into the muffin tin, dividing evenly among 10 cups.
- Divide the pineapple among the muffin tin cups on top of the caramelized sugar mixture and set aside. Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside.
- Cream the salted butter with the sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla. In a separate bowl combine the flour and baking powder. Add it to the butter-egg mixture in two parts, alternating with the milk. Fold the whipped egg whites into the cake batter and pour the batter over the fruit in the muffin tin.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the oven, and invert the tin onto a cookie sheet with sides. Leave the muffin tin on top for 5 minutes, then remove it and let the cupcakes cool. Serve with whipped cream and a cherry.