Pinto Bean Dip
Make sure that you thoroughly cook dried beans for the best texture.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 9 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup dried pinto beans, soaked overnight in water to cover and drained
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Place the beans in a 3- or 4-quart slow cooker with the onion. Add 6 cups water, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours until tender. Drain the pinto beans, reserving 1⁄4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Place the beans and onion in large bowl with the chili powder and salt. Using a potato masher, mash the beans, leaving some whole. Add reserved cooking liquid as needed until a spreading consistency is reached.
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl and top with cheese.