Makes: 36 cookiesHands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 36 cookies
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 package (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla until light. In another bowl, combine 1½ cups flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Mix the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Divide the dough in half. Add the cocoa to half of the dough and add the remaining ¾ cup flour to the remaining half.
- Roll each half into a 9" square. Place the chocolate square on top of the vanilla square. Roll up jelly-roll style. Wrap tightly in wax paper or plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice the dough into rounds ¼" thick. Place the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove to a rack to cool completely.