Piri Piri Sauce
Piri piri is the Swahili term for hot chili. Itʼs also the name of Mozambiqueʼs national dish. Throughout the country, this sauce is found on most tables, where itʼs added to fish and chicken dishes. It makes a great dipping sauce for shrimp and also makes a nice addition to eggs and steak.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 red bird’s-eye chilies, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 6 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 4 tsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
- ½ Tbsp. white vinegar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients and purée into a chunky sauce.
- Transfer to a clean jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.