Flan is a popular dessert throughout Latin America. This recipe calls for 6 individual baking dishes or ramekins, but you can make 1 large flan using a 9" baking pan.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 5 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 large eggs
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 Tbsp. grated coconut
- ½ cup chopped pistachios, divided
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Add 2 tablespoons of pistachios to a blender or food processor and blend until finely ground, but not quite a butter. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently stir together the eggs, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the milk and half-and-half into a medium saucepan and place on the stove on medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Gradually pour the egg mixture into the hot milk, stirring constantly. Make sure no clumps of egg remain.
- Pass the mixture through a strainer, then add the coconut and the ground pistachios. Pour into 6 individual baking dishes. Place dishes into a large roasting pan and fill the pan with warm tap water until it is about halfway up the side of the dishes.
- Bake for about 60 minutes, or until center is firm when pressed. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Top each flan with 1 tablespoon of the remaining chopped pistachios and serve.