These sweet date-filled cookies are sure to impress. They are both beautiful and delicious!
Makes: 36Hands-on: 1 hourTotal: 10 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons orange zest
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup finely chopped dates
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup finely chopped unsalted pistachios
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside. Add butter and brown sugar to the bowl of a standing mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add the zest and eggs, one at a time and mix well. Add the flour mixture and beat until just combined. Divide the dough into two discs, wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Before rolling out the dough, make the filling. Add chopped dates, sugar and orange juice to a medium heavy-duty saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring frequently until the dates have fallen apart and the sauce has thickened into a paste, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- To roll out the dough, start with a piece of parchment paper. Place one disc of dough on the parchment and place a second sheet over the dough. Roll until it is very thin and forms a long rectangle, about the size of a standard piece of paper (8½" x 11"). Carefully remove the top layer of parchment and replace it with another sheet. Flip the dough over onto a baking sheet so that the loosened piece of parchment is under the dough. Carefully remove the piece of parchment that is now on top of the dough and discard. Place the rolled out dough in the freezer and repeat the process with the second disc of dough.
- Remove the first baking sheet from the freezer and spread half the date filling evenly over the entire sheet of dough. Loosen the bottom edge of the dough with a bench scraper or sharp chef’s knife. Use the parchment to roll the dough over itself forming a pinwheel shape. Work quickly to prevent the dough from warming up and getting too sticky. Once the roll is complete, spread the parchment back flat with the dough roll at the top of the parchment. Spread half the chopped pistachios below the roll and roll the dough back over the pistachios, pressing the nuts into the dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 4 hours. Repeat with the second dough sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove one log from the freezer and cut into ¼" slices. Place on a cookie sheet with at least 1" between cookies. Bake one pan at a time for 12 minutes or until the cookies are golden at the edges and no longer wet looking in the middle. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack and cool completely. Repeat with remaining log of cookie dough.