Pistachio Gelato (Gelato di pistacchio)
Believe it or not, despite their nutty appearance, pistachios are not nuts. They are actually the seeds of a plum-like fruit, the flesh of which is removed during processing.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 10 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup toasted unsalted shelled pistachios, chopped
- Combine untoasted pistachios and sugar in a blender or food processor, and pulse until well chopped. Place into a medium saucepan. Add milk and salt, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Once milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Add egg mixture to saucepan, and heat until thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in the vanilla.
- Chill 4 hours or overnight. Stir in the cream and chopped toasted pistachios.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Stop the churning as soon as the gelato is just frozen.