You could serve the filling on toasted English muffins or bagels if youʼd like too.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrots
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 hamburger buns, cut in half
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- In a large saucepan, cook ground beef and onion together over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until meat is browned and cooked. Drain off excess fat and water.
- Sprinkle flour over meat; cook and stir for 1 minute. Then add marinara, carrots, Italian seasoning, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 5 to 8 minutes until thickened. Stir in Parmesan cheese and 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese; remove from heat.
- Preheat broiler. Spread cut sides of hamburger buns with butter and toast under broiler. Remove from oven and divide beef mixture among buns. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Broil 6 inches from heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until sandwiches are hot and cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately.