Make these ahead of time and freeze them. They can be thawed in the microwave for those last-minute lunch demands or as an after-school snack.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 lb. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and diced, divided
- 2 lbs. extra-lean ground beef
- 2 3⁄4 cups bread crumbs
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried basil
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup canned condensed vegetable soup
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, peeled
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 oz. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Mix cheese, 1 onion, ground beef, bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon salt, basil, pepper, soup, and milk in a large bowl. Form into firm balls no larger than 2 inches in diameter. Lay the meatballs in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Place the tomatoes in a blender and purée on low speed for 2 minutes. Add remaining onion, garlic, broth, tomato paste, oregano, and remaining salt. Pulse to combine.
- Pour sauce over meatballs. Cover and cook on low setting for 2 hours.