Pla Nueng (Steamed Snapper with Ginger)
This is a no-fat dish that doesn’t sacrifice flavor. The fish is moist and tender with robust flavors from the ginger and green onions.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 whole red snapper, flounder, or perch (about 1 lb. of fillets is fine, too); cleaned.
- 3 Tbsp. light soy sauce
- ½ tsp. of sugar
- 1 cup shredded ginger, divided
- 4 medium spring onions, trimmed and minced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp. ground white pepper
- In a 16" wok fitted with a bamboo steamer add 2 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-high. Score three slits on each side of the fish. Place on plate and cover with soy sauce, sugar, and half the ginger. Place the plate into the bamboo steamer, cover, and steam until cooked through, about 15–20 minutes.
- When the fish is done, add remaining ginger and spring onions and steam for 1 minute longer until onions are softened. Remove plate and serve sprinkled with cilantro and ground pepper.