Plain Strawberry Shortcake
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 cups whipped cream
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries with 1⁄4 cup sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the shortening and, using a pastry blender, cut in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg and milk in a small bowl and stir to combine. Add all at once to the flour mixture and stir only to moisten.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured work surface. Knead gently for 1 minute. Pat or roll out the dough 1⁄2 inch thick. Using a floured 2 1⁄2-inch round or fluted cutter, cut out 6 biscuits. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove to a rack to cool for 10 minutes, then split horizontally into 2 layers. Spread butter on bottom layers, then top with strawberry mixture and whipped cream. Place top layer over whipped cream. Serve immediately.