Wanting to add more vegetables into your meals? Use cabbage leaves as tortillas for hearty brown rice and beans.
Serves: 6Prep: 30 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 3 tablespoons Private Selection™ Sea Salt Grinder
- 1 head green cabbage, core cut out
- 3 cups Simple Truth Organic™ Brown Rice 3 Count
- 3 tablespoons Simple Truth Organic™ Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 teaspoons Private Selection™ Six Chili Powder
- 2 cans (15 oz.) Simple Truth Organic™ Pinto Beans, not drained
- 1 cup non-dairy cheese
- 1 jar Simple Truth Organic™ Thick & Chunky Mild Salsa
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 large lime, zested and juiced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the salt and the cabbage to the water. Cover and simmer the cabbage for 10 minutes.
- Brush a 9” x 13” pan with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and pour ½ cup of the salsa over the bottom of the pan. Heat a large skillet with the remaining olive oil. Add the garlic cloves to the skillet and cook over low heat until fragrant and caramelized. Stir in the chili powder and cans of beans along with their liquid. Continue to cook over low heat, mashing half of the mixture with a potato masher to allow the beans to thicken.
- Remove the head of cabbage from the hot water and gently peel 12 leaves from the head, using tongs. Fill each cabbage leaf with ¼ cup cooked brown rice, ¼ cup beans and 1 tablespoon of the cheese. Wrap the cabbage leaves as you would wrap a burrito and arrange them seam side down into the prepared baking dish. Pour the remaining salsa over the cabbage rolls and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Blend the avocado with the lime juice and zest until smooth. Serve the cabbage rolls with the sauce and chopped cilantro.