Plant-based Middle Eastern Eggplant Pita
Sabich is a classic Middle Eastern sandwich that features eggplant, pickles, fresh veggies, eggs and tahini hummus sauce. To keep it plant-based, skip the egg and ramp up the flavor with a few extra special seasoning blends.
Serves: 4Prep: 25 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons Private Selection™ Za'Atar Blend
- 2 medium eggplant, cut into ½”-thick slices
- 1⁄2 cup hummus
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Private Selection™ Moroccan Inspired Harissa Seasoning Blend
- 2 vine-on tomato, diced
- 1⁄2 English cucumber, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 pita pocket breads, warmed
- 1⁄4 cup dill pickles, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In small bowl, combine 4 tablespoons olive and za’atar. Brush cut sides of eggplant with oil mixture. Place on baking sheet.
- Roast eggplant 25-30 minutes or until tender and golden brown on bottom.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together remaining 2 tablespoon olive oil, hummus, lemon juice and harissa seasoning; refrigerate until ready to use.
- In separate bowl, toss together tomato, cucumber, red onion and salt.
- To make sandwiches, cut top 2” off each pita; carefully open the pocket. Fill with eggplant, tomato salad, pickles and harissa hummus.
- Refrigerate leftovers.