Plum Chicken Thighs
Plum sauce can be found in the international or ethnic section of most supermarkets. For extra flavor, stir 1 tablespoon Chinese dark soy sauce into the plum sauce and water mixture before adding it to the stir-fry. Serve this dish over rice.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 egg white
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. Chinese rice wine
- 1½ tsp. cornstarch
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" cubes
- 2 Tbsp. plum sauce
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. chili paste with garlic
- In a large bowl combine the egg white, salt, rice wine, and cornstarch and mix in the chicken cubes. Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the plum sauce and water. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 cups oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken. Cook the chicken cubes until they turn white (about 30 seconds–1 minute), using a spatula to separate the cubes. Remove the chicken from the wok to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon oil in the wok or skillet. Add the minced ginger, scallions, and chili paste with garlic. Stir-fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the plum sauce. Heat the sauce to boiling. Stir-fry for 2 minutes to mix the chicken with the sauce and make sure the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve hot.