Use red or deep purple plums to give this soup a rich color.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. red or English plums, peeled, halved, and pitted
- 5 cups plus 2 Tbsp. water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, add 5 cups water, sugar, and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil. Stir in the plums, return to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes, or until plums have softened. Remove ¼ cup of cooked plums and set aside. Use a potato masher to break apart the plums.
- Whisk together the potato starch and 2 tablespoons water, then pour in a steady stream into the soup, stirring constantly. Simmer for 5 more minutes, or until soup thickens.
- Remove from heat and cool on the stove. Serve at room temperature with a spoonful of reserved plums.