Poached Eggs with Asparagus and Prosciutto
This is one of those recipes that can be made when you’re in a hurry but want something elegant and filling. The poached egg and prosciutto add a touch of sophistication, while the asparagus adds fiber and lots of good-for-you antioxidants.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutes
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1½ tsp. salt, divided
- 1½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices gluten-free bread
- 4 thin slices prosciutto, minced
- ½ cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place asparagus side by side on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Roast for 8 minutes, then flip the asparagus and roast another 8 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, bring a full pot of water to a rapid simmer. Add rice vinegar. Crack eggs, one at a time, into 4 small, shallow bowls. Carefully pour 2 eggs into the simmering water. Using a slotted spoon, gently move the egg whites over the egg yolk. Turn off the heat, cover, and let sit about 4 minutes, or until egg whites are fully cooked. Using the same slotted spoon, very carefully remove eggs from the pan and place on a plate. Keep warm and repeat with remaining 2 eggs.
- Place a few asparagus spears on each slice of bread. Top with prosciutto and cheese. Carefully place eggs over cheese and asparagus. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Serve warm.