Poached Pears with Star Anise and Ginger
The warm pears are sweet and have a gentle tang from the ginger. They’re perfect at the end of a long day skiing or snowshoeing.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 medium Bosc pears, halved lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 piece (1") ginger, skin removed
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 star anise pods
- Bring water and sugar to a simmer over medium heat until the sugar melts.
- Using a melon baller or sharp spoon, remove the seeds and core from the pears. Gently lower pears into the simmering water and add the lemon juice, ginger, cloves, and star anise.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until pears are softened. Remove pears from the water and set aside.
- Simmer the sauce for 15 minutes or until liquid has reduced by half. Serve pears with sauce.