If you don't want to deep-fry, you can bake the polenta strips in a 450°F oven for 20 minutes, or until they turn golden.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 cups cooked polenta, cooled on a large baking sheet
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan or deep-fat fryer, preheat the oil to 360°F.
- Cut the polenta into 1" x 3" strips.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and cayenne pepper. Coat the polenta strips with this mixture.
- When the oil is hot, carefully lower about 7 or 8 polenta strips into the hot oil (it’s best to do this with a heat-proof slotted spoon or deep-fryer basket). Deep-fry until they golden brown (about 4 minutes). Carefully remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Continue with the remainder of the polenta strips and serve immediately.