Polenta Cubes with Grilled Vegetable Salad
Polenta cubes are crunchy and good for snacks or as croutons on salads.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 4 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ tsp. salt, divided
- ¾ cup canola oil, divided
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 cups boiling water
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups baby arugula
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- Prepare a grill. Brush eggplant, zucchini, and red pepper with ¼ cup of oil and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of salt. Grill until tender. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Bring water and remaining teaspoon salt to boil in a large pot. Stir the cornmeal in a fine stream into boiling salted water. Cook, stirring for about 20 minutes or until the polenta comes away from the sides of the pan. Add Parmesan. Prepare a 9" × 9" glass baking pan with nonstick spray and spread the polenta in the pan.
- Chill the polenta. When polenta is firm, turn it out onto waxed paper and cut into 1" cubes.
- Fry the cubes in remaining canola oil at high heat, turning as the sides brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Toss polenta cubes with arugula, olives, and grilled vegetables. Serve immediately.