Polenta with Broccoli
Broccoli is a wonderful accompaniment to the sweet nuttiness of the polenta.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup coarsely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb. broccoli crowns
- 1 quart boiling water
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Bring the water to a boil. Add salt. Stir in cornmeal in a thin stream, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; continue to stir for 20 minutes or until the polenta comes away from the pot. Stir in butter and cheese. Set aside.
- Rinse broccoli and cut in 1 1⁄2-inch pieces, trimming off the very bottoms of stems. Drop broccoli into the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Shock in cold water. Drain thoroughly.
- Heat olive oil and sauté garlic over medium heat. Add lemon juice, crushed red pepper, and drained broccoli. Cook and stir until well coated. Stir broccoli into hot polenta.