Polenta with Broccoli
Broccoli is a wonderful accompaniment to the sweet nuttiness of the polenta.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3½ cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup coarsely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb. broccoli crowns
- 1 quart boiling water
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1½ Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- Bring the water to a boil. Add salt. Stir in cornmeal in a thin stream, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; continue to stir for 20 minutes or until the polenta comes away from the pot. Stir in the butter and cheese. Set aside.
- Rinse the broccoli and cut in 1½" pieces, trimming off very bottoms of stems. Drop the broccoli into the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Shock in cold water. Drain thoroughly.
- Heat the olive oil and sauté garlic over medium heat. Add the lemon juice, crushed red pepper, and drained broccoli. Cook and stir until well coated. Stir broccoli into hot polenta.