Polish Pork and Sauerkraut Stew (Bigos)
Warming and satisfying, this dish takes humble ingredients and elevates them into a sum greater than their parts.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 lb. kielbasa, sliced into 1⁄2-inch rounds
- 1⁄2 lb. pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) pilsner beer
- 2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a medium casserole dish with the slices of bacon. Mix together the remaining ingredients and place in the casserole. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for about 3 hours.