Polish Pork and Sauerkraut Stew (Bigos)
Warming and satisfying, this dish takes humble ingredients and elevates them into a sum greater than their parts.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 slices bacon
- ½ lb. kielbasa, sliced into ½” rounds
- ½ lb. pork shoulder, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) pilsner beer
- 2 tsp. caraway seeds
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a medium casserole dish with the slices of bacon. Mix together the remaining ingredients and place in the casserole. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for about 3 hours.