Pommes Duchesses (Duchess Potatoes)
This potato dish may not have been invented by a duchess, but it's still delicious!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 lb. potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 Tbsp. butter, diced
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Fill a large saucepan with water, add kosher salt, put the diced potatoes in it and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to moderate heat and cook for 25 minutes.
- Pour the potatoes in a colander, dry them with a clean cloth, and mash them. Add 2 tablespoons diced butter, and put back in the saucepan. Put over medium heat and stir for 5 minutes, drying the mashed potatoes. Take the saucepan off the heat, let it cool for a moment, then add the egg yolks and stir. Season with salt, pepper, and ground nutmeg, and stir again until the combination is smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Put a large parchment paper sheet on a baking sheet. In a small saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Transfer the mashed potatoes to a piping bag fitted with a ½" star tip. Use the pipe to make small circles on the paper, about 2" wide. Using a pastry brush, brush with the melted butter. Put in the oven for a few minutes until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.