Ponche By Pati Jinich
Ponche combines fresh and dried fruit, cinnamon and sugar to create a comforting hot drink perfect for the holiday season.
Serves: 8Prep: 5 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 10 cups cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 apples, peeled cored and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 pears, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1⁄2 cup pitted prunes, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or to taste
- Rind of 1 Orange
- Bring the water, cinnamon sticks, and brown sugar or piloncillo to a simmer in a large saucepan. Let it cook for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the apples, pears, prunes, apricots and raisins, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the orange rind and simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Turn off heat and discard the cinnamon, and orange rind. Serve in a mug.