These pork cakes are delicious served with fresh vegetables and a spicy Thai dressing.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 fresh red or green Thai chilies, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. fish sauce, divided
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. chopped coriander roots or stem
- 2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. rice flour
- 1 Tbsp. tapioca flour
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 1⁄2 cup julienned red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup julienned scallions
- To make the dressing, crush the chilies and garlic with a mortar and pestle into a coarse paste. Add 3 tablespoons fish sauce, lime juice, 1 teaspoon sugar, and honey to the chili and garlic paste. Alternatively, put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until chilies and garlic are chopped into small pieces, about 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Combine ground pork, diced onion, eggs, coriander roots or stems, soy sauce, remaining 1 tablespoon fish sauce, remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, rice flour, tapioca flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix well with hands or spatula.
- Roll the mixture into 4 balls and flatten.
- In a large frying pan, deep-fry the cakes for 4 minutes in vegetable oil that has been heated to 350°F. Remove and drain on paper towels. Place each pork cake in a leaf of lettuce and top with bell pepper and scallions. Serve with the dressing.