Pork and Kale Stuffed Butternut Squash
This dish is beautiful, savory, and mildly sweet. Serve with a simple green salad for a lovely fall meal.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 tsp. ghee
- ½ lb. ground pork
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 2 tsp. coconut aminos
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash squash, and poke all over with the tines of a fork. Place the squash in a baking pan, and cook for 45 minutes or until fork tender. Let cool, and halve lengthwise. Remove seeds and membranes. Gently scoop out squash, leaving approximately 1" of the flesh. Roughly chop removed squash and reserve.
- Heat ghee in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add pork and season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned and no longer pink, about 8–10 minutes. Stir in onion and diced carrot, and cook for 5–7 minutes, or until softened.
- Add chicken broth and stir up any browned pieces. Stir in kale, coconut aminos, and reserved squash. Reduce heat to a simmer. When broth is reduced by half and kale is wilted, remove from heat.
- Place squash halves in a large baking pan. Divide pork mixture between squash halves. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.