Pork and Kale Stuffed Butternut Squash
This dish is beautiful, savory, and mildly sweet. Serve with a simple green salad for a lovely fall meal.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 tsp. ghee
- 1⁄2 lb. ground pork
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 cup all-natural chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 2 tsp. coconut aminos
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash squash, and poke all over with the tines of a fork. Place the squash in a baking pan, and cook for 45 minutes or until fork tender. Let cool, and halve lengthwise. Remove seeds and membranes. Gently scoop out squash, leaving approximately 1 inch of the flesh. Roughly chop removed squash and reserve.
- Heat ghee in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add pork and season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned and no longer pink, about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in onion and diced carrot, and cook for 5–7 minutes, or until softened.
- Add chicken broth and stir up any browned pieces. Stir in kale, coconut aminos, and reserved squash. Reduce heat to a simmer. When broth is reduced by half and kale is wilted, remove from heat.
- Place squash halves in a large baking pan. Divide pork mixture between squash halves. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.