This marinade can be used with other meats to make different kinds of souvlaki. It works great with beef shoulder or even lamb shoulder. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 5 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large onion, peeled and grated
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup plus 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 4 tsp. dried oregano, divided
- 2 lbs. boneless pork butt, fat trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large lemons, cut into wedges
- In a large bowl, whisk the onion, garlic, salt, pepper, ¼ cup oil, and oregano. Whisk to thoroughly combine the marinade. Add the pork and toss to coat the meat. Refrigerate the pork for at least 5 hours or overnight. Bring the pork to room temperature before grilling it.
- Put the meat onto wooden or metal skewers. Add 4 pieces of pork per skewer.
- Preheat the gas or charcoal grill to medium-high. Brush the grill surface to make sure it is thoroughly clean. When the grill is ready, dip a clean tea towel in the remaining oil and wipe the grill surface with the oil. Put the pork on the grill and cook it for 3–4 minutes a side or until the pork is cooked through.
- Sprinkle the pork with the remaining oregano and serve it with the lemon wedges.