This method of cooking barley makes it as creamy as risotto, but with the bonus of being high in fiber.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 small shallots, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3¼ cups water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. crushed rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet. Sauté the shallots, garlic, and mushrooms until softened, about 3–4 minutes.
- Place the mushroom mixture into a 4-quart slow cooker. Add the barley, water, salt, pepper, rosemary, and parsley. Stir. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.