Grilled meaty portobello mushrooms are filled with a fragrant tomato mixture, then encased in toasted rolls. Yum!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 full heads garlic
- 2½ Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. mustard
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- 1 cup mixed greens
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut the garlic heads in half, parallel to the root end. Place, cut-side up, on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with 1½ tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes until garlic is light golden brown and soft. Cool for 10 minutes, then squeeze cloves out of the papery skins. Cover unused portion and store in refrigerator for 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Preheat broiler. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, and garlic; set aside. Brush mushrooms with the oil and place on a broiler pan, gill-side up. Broil until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Turn over and place one slice of cheese on each mushroom cap. Cook until the cheese just begins to melt, about 2 minutes.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture over the bottom halves of the rolls and top each with a mushroom cap, cheese side up. Top with sliced red peppers and a handful of lettuce. Spread top halves of rolls with remaining mayonnaise mixture and place on lettuce. Serve immediately.